So often I hear that it’s all too hard to change what we do in the house. It’s easier to use the commercial cleaning products, I don’t really use a lot of chemicals, I don’t know where to start, it’s too time consuming, it’s surely too expensive.
I usually ask people to write a list of household toxins that they can think of in their homes. Their list is often quite short compared to mine and it becomes a shock when they learn just how toxic their household really is. I think people don’t connect health issues with all these chemicals. But it’s so common to have adverse reactions.
To begin with, let me make a list of all the products in your house that have toxic chemicals in them. You will have people say that everything is a chemical, even water is a chemical. But not all chemicals are created equal. It’s the synthetic, man made chemicals that have a negative affect on your body.
These are just the ones that I can think of right now:
- Commercial cleaning products – disinfectant, bleach, all purpose cleaner, toilet cleaner, dishwashing liquid, dishwasher tablets, washing powder, fabric spray, stain remover, car polish, boot polish, car wash, carpet cleaner, dog wash, oven cleaner, furniture polish, ammonia.
- Make up, make up removal wipes, fake tan, nail polish, nail polish remover
- Hair products – hair sprays, wax and gel, hair colour, shampoo and conditioner, detangle, head lice removal products.
- Body products – perfumes, moisturiser, toner, cleanser, eye creams, anti-aging serums, soaps, body wash, hand wash, bubble bath, shaving cream, sun cream, lip balms, deodorants, talcum or baby powder.
- Baby products – wipes, powder, soaps, nappy rash cream, plastic toys, teething gel.
- Insecticides – fly spray, Aeroguard, flea powders and tick products, citronella
- Air fresheners, sprays, candles, store bought “essential oils”.
- Tap water – fluoride, chlorine, aluminium, calcium hydroxide, sodium silicofluoride, copper pipes.
- Non-stick cookware, plastic containers and bottles.
- Electronics – tv, computer, tablet, iPad, phone.
- Moth balls
- Toothpaste and mouth wash
- Mattress and pillow
- New clothes
- Foods- preservatives, additives, herbicides, pesticides, GMO, canned foods and drinks.
- Gardening sprays – weed killers, pesticides, fertilisers
- Garage products – household paint, paint thinners, kerosene, methylated spirits, WD40, pool sanitisers.
- Medicines – Paracetemol, Aspirin, anti-histamines, anti-inflammatories, steroid creams, decongestants, anti-depressnats, Beta-blockers, Pseudoephedrine, vapour rubs, vaporiser fluid.
That’s quite a few right? Did you know that there are 84,000 chemicals in our household products and about 200 of them are tested by regulating bodies?
Lets have a look at some of the effects these many chemicals can have on our bodies. now remember, our children’s bodies have to try and filter these out through their detoxification pathways. But the time they are adults, imagine the build up?
- Endocrine disrupting – hormone imbalances, infertility, auto-immune diseases
- Skin conditions – rashes, irritations
- Respiratory conditions – lung issues, breathing difficulties, sinus, hay fever
- Immune disrupting
- Premature aging
- Digestive issues
- throat irritation
- Eye irritations
- Lymphatic issues
- Organ toxicity – liver problems, spleen, gall bladder, kidney issues
- Gut imbalance
- Damage to the nervous system
- Neurological damage
- Muscle and joint aches and pains
- Sensitivity to scents and smells, loss of smell
If you would like to know how to detox your household, please contact me.
Click the link below to check out my page and click join and save
Or you can stalk me on Facebook. Shoot me a message