How easy is a slow cooker? Throw the ingredients in and let it work it’s magic. You can’t beat lamb shanks in the slow cooker. This recipe is melt in the mouth, lip smacking, amazing.
Gluten, dairy, egg and nut free
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large carrots, thick slices
- 1 jar passata sauce
- 1 large sprig rosemary, whole (you can use ½-1 tsp. dried rosemary)
- ½ Cup dry red wine
- 1 Tbsp. coconut or extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- Put your slow cooker on low heat to warm it up.
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil on high heat.
- Put the lamb shanks in the frying pan and brown on all sides. Just a little bit of colour.
- Remove the shanks and put them in the slow cooker, then add onion to frying pan. Cook stirring for 2 minutes and then add the garlic and carrots. Give it all a quick mix to ensure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Pour the red wine into the pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 1 minute to allow the alcohol to cook out.
- Pour in the passata sauce and then add about ½ cup water to the empty jar. Give it a good swish around and add that to the pan also. Sprinkle in salt and pepper. Bring to the boil.
- Pour the sauce over the lamb and lay the rosemary in the sauce.
- Cook on low heat for 6 hours or high heat for 4 hours.
- Serve with mash potato and pumpkin or sweet potato.