Gluten, nut, egg free
Serves at least 6
- 8-10 medium washed potatoes, whole with skin on
- 1 x 400g can tuna in brine or springwater
- 1 x 200g can tuna in brine or springwater, drained
- 1 x brown onion
- 2 x fresh corn cobs, corn cut off the cob
- 3/4 Cup peas
- 2Tbsp. gluten free plain flour
- 2½ Cups milk
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Cup grated tasty cheese and ½ Cup for the top
- Salt and pepper
- Steam or boil potatoes whole in their skin for 10 minutes or until tender. (Stick a skewer into the potato to test. Make sure they are still slightly firm so they don’t crumble when slice them). Once cooked set aside to cool slightly. When they are cool enough to handle, slice them very thin as you would do for a potato bake.
- Heat oven to 18oº
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat a frypan to medium-high heat. Heat butter and oil together until melted.
- Add onion and fry for 1 minute until soft and translucent. Add corn and stir.
- Toss in flour and stir for 1 minute. Turn the heat up but take the pan off the heat and gradually stir in the milk about ½ a cup at a time and stir ensuring you remove any lumps.
- Return to the heat stirring continuously until thick and creamy. Add 1 cup of the cheese and stir until melted.
- Stir in the tuna. Turn the heat off.
- Grease a rectangle casserole dish and layer the bottom with potatoes as you would with a potato bake using about ¹⁄³ of the potato. Ensure the whole base of the dish is covered with potato.
- Next pour ¹⁄³ over the tuna sauce over the potatoes. Repeat this process 3 times ensuring the last layer is tuna sauce. Top with the ½ cup of cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through and cheese is golden and bubbly.