Serves at least 6
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. good curry powder of your choice (I used Curry Traders Asian BBQ rub)
- 1 Cup tomato passata sauce
- ¼ Cup water
- ½ Cup coconut milk
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 Cup peas
- 1 ½ Tbsp. Olive or coconut oil
- Heat a large frypan on medium/high heat. Add oil. Sautee onion for 1 minute until translucent then add the garlic.
- Add curry powder and cook stirring continuously for at least 2 minutes. If the pan is too hot turn the heat down to medium. Allow the curry powder to become nice and fragrant.
- Sprinkle the lamb shanks with a little salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat up again and add the lamb shanks. Brown on all sides for about 1 minute each side. Pour the passata sauce in and stir.
- Add the water and salt and pepper, and using the back of the spoon, scrape the bottom to ensure all the caramelised flavour is released.
- Pour the contents of the pan into the slow cooker. Turn the heat to low and cook for at least 6 hours.
- Half an hour before serving, turn heat up to high and add coconut milk and peas. You can add other vegetables if u like. If using hard vegetables like carrots, make sure they are finely cut so they cook quickly.
- I served my curry with crispy potatoes but you can use rice or any vegetables.