You can slow cook this or use a pressure cooker.
I always keep my ham bone from my Christmas ham to make this soup. Make sure u leave a little bit of ham on the bone. You can freeze the bone until you’re ready to make the soup.
Gluten, dairy, egg and nut free
- 1 ham bone or hock with a bit of ham left on it.
- 300g green split peas, soak overnight for best results.
- 2-3 potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ a sweet potato or a full small one, peeled and diced
- 2 Cups beef or chicken bone broth (stock) https://naomishomehealth.wordpress.com/recipes/bone-broth
- 2 Cups water
- 2 brown onions, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 Tbsp butter or oil
- If you’re using a pressure cooker or saucepan you can do this first step in the actual cooker. If using a slow cooker you will need to do it in a large pan.
- Heat pan on medium-high heat. Add oil or butter when the pan is hot. Once bubbling, add onion and cook, stirring for 2 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add carrot and potatoes. Cook stirring for 2 minutes.
- Pour the stock and water into the pan and bring to the boil. You may have to turn the heat up to high to do this.
- Once the liquid is boiling, place the ham bone in the cooker and pour the liquid and vegetables over it. Don’t forget to strain the peas and add those too. If you’re using a saucepan or pressure cooker just gently place the bone in the liquid.
- Put the lid on an bring to the boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 2 hours (for stove top). Slow cook for 4 hours or pressure cook for 30 minutes.
- Using a hand blender, blend some of the soup so there are still some chunks left.
- Taste it and see if it needs salt or pepper and add to taste.
- Serve it however you like.
If you would like to support your family’s health with amazing products, click the link below and go to join and save.
For more health and wellness information feel free to follow me on Facebook