Meatballs are a great finger food for parties and with the romesco sauce they will be a winner. If you’re making these for a kids party, you may want to leave the almonds out of the sauce.
Gluten, dairy and egg free
- 1kg beef mince
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¹⁄8 white pepper
- ½ Cup breadcrumbs (I use gluten free)
- 2 large red capsicums (red peppers), whole (you can buy them in a jar if you want)
- 2 tomatoes, whole
- 3 cloves garlic, whole
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¹⁄8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ Tbsp. paprika
- ½ Cup almonds
- ¼ Cup extra virgin olive oil
- Start by roasting the almonds.Preheat the oven to 220°C. Put the almonds on a baking tray and roast for 10-15 minutes.
- Next do the capsicums. The easiest way to do this is to lay the capsicums on their side on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Place the tray in the oven and cook for 20 minutes. Turn them over and cook for a further 20 minutes. At this point you can put the tomatoes and garlic in with them.
- Cook the garlic for 15 minutes. The capsicum and tomatoes are ready when they have shrunk and the insides are soft and starting to collapse. The skin of the capsicum will be charred and soft. Once they are done take them out of the oven and place a glass bowl over the top to steam the skins off. This will make it easy for the skins to peel off.
- To make the meatballs, mix all of the ingredients together with your hands. Make sure it is mixed together well.
- Roll the meat mixture into small balls, about a tablespoon in size then roll them in the breadcrumbs. Place them on a clean pate and then put them in the fridge while you finish off the sauce.
- Remove the skin of the capsicum, tomatoes and garlic. Pull the core out of the capsicum and remove the seeds.
- Put the almonds in a food processor and blitz until finely chopped.
- Put the rest of the ingredients in the food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Heat a large frying pan on high heat and add 1-2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil.
- Add the meatballs once the pan and the oil is hot and cook, turning on each side to ensure they are cooked throng and on each side.
- Serve with the romesco sauce.
If you enjoyed the recipe, please share it with your friends. I’d love to see your results. Feel free to send me a photo so I can add it to my blog.
If you would like to support your family’s health and wellbeing click on the link below and go to join and save.
Feel free to stalk me on Facebook for more health and wellness tips.