This meatball pasta is sauce free. I have cooked for many kids and sometimes it’s the sauce they don’t love. This is tasty and nutritious, even without the sauce.
Gluten free, dairy free (if you don’t top it with Parmesan) and nut free
- 500g beef mince
- 500g pork mince
- 1 egg
- ½ Cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. sea salt flakes
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 275g cauliflower cut into small floret pieces
- 175g broccoli, cut into small floret pieces
- 350g gluten free pasta, I used fettuccini
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive oil, please a little extra to dress the pasta
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese to serve with.
- To make the meatballs, in a large bowl mix mince, egg, bread crumbs, garlic, basil, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper using your hands.
- Roll into small balls, about 1½ Tbsp. size, and place on a clean plate.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on high heat. Cook meatballs, turning to cook all sides. Don’t over cook as they may end up dry.
- Start to boil the water for the pasta.
- When the meatballs are cooked, place them on a clean plate to rest.
- Put the pasta on to boil. When cooking pasta, always make sure the water is boiling fully and you have loads of water in a large saucepan. The pasta should be able to “dance around” in the water. Make sure you put a large pinch of salt in the water too.
- While the pasta is cooking, throw the cauliflower and broccoli into the pan with a pinch of salt, making sure you keep the oil from the meatballs in the pan to cook the vegetables in. Cook for 2 minutes on high heat.
- Ladle about ½ Cup of the pasta water into the pan to make a nice little sauce and allow the vegetables to cook and to lift the flavour bits of the meat from the bottom of the pan. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and pour it into the pan. Using tongs, mix the pasta with the vegetables.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the pasta and mix through.
- Add the meatballs into the pan, give it a little toss.
- Serve with some fresh grated Parmesan cheese on top.