Gluten, egg and nut free
Serves at least 6
- 500g veal and/or pork mince
- 1kg beef mince
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- ¾ Cup finely diced cauliflower
- 2 large button mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp curry powder (or to taste)
- 2 tsp. Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Cup beef or chicken stock (I use my home made broth)
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 8 large baby chat potatoes, whole with skin on
- 300g pumpkin, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 30g butter
- Put the chat potatoes into a large saucepan covered with water or steamer and begin to cook. After about 8 minutes, add the pumpkin.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a medium casserole dish with oil.
- In the meantime, heat a large frypan on medium high heat. Add oil and heat.
- Add onion to pan and cook stirring for 2 minutes until soft.
- Sprinkle the curry powder and garlic into the pan and cook stirring for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Turn the heat up to high and gently crumble the mince in using your fingers.
- Stir the meat to lightly brown it. When it’s almost brown, add the vegetables and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Spoon the tomato paste and sprinkle the salt and pepper into the meat and vegetables and mix through.
- Pour in stock and Worcestershire sauce and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When potatoes are soft, remove them from the pan and peel the skin off. Drain the water out of the pan reserving a few tablespoons in the bottom, and add the potatoes and pumpkin together back into the saucepan.
- Start to mash the pumpkin and potatoes. Add in the butter and mash and mix them all until smooth.
- Pour the mince into the casserole dish and press down firmly with the back of the spoon. Top with the mash, spreading it out. Make little peaks with the mash so they will crisp in the oven.
- Place in the oven to cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until it is bubbling and the top begins to crisp and go golden.
- Take out of the oven and cool for 5 minutes. Its ready to serve.