This is one of the most tasty casseroles you can make. We barely had any leftovers which is unusual for us.
Gluten, egg and nut free
- 1kg chuck steak, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 Cups beef stock
- 1 Cup cream
- 3/4 Cup white wine
- 5 French shallots cut in half
- 30 small button mushrooms, cut in half
- 11/2 Tbsp. tapioca
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 1800C.
- Coat all of the beef in tapioca and salt and pepper.
- Heat a large casserole dish on high heat on the stove top. Add olive oil and cook beef in 3 batches. Put the beef in a clean bowl to use later.
- Reduce heat to medium-high and add butter to the pan. Stir in French shallots and cook, stirring for 5 minutes until the soften and then add in mushrooms and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add the beef and its juices back into the pan and pour in stock, mustard and bay leaves.
- Put the lid on the casserole dish and place in the oven to cook for 11/2 hours.
- Take the dish out of the oven and stir in the cream.
- Put the dish back in the oven for 20 mins with the lid off to allow the sauce the thicken.
- We served ours with potato and cauliflower mash. You can have it with rice, pasta or steamed vegetables.