Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Nut Free, Egg Free
Serves at least 6
- 1kg beef mince
- 1 brown onion
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 zucchini, grated
- ³⁄4 Cup peas
- 2 Cups beef bone broth or stock (I always use home made)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. mixed dried herbs
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Coconut or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Pinch pepper
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and cubed in small pieces
- 1 Tbsp. butter or dairy free spread
- ¼ Cup of milk of your choice
- In a large saucepan, steam or boil potatoes for the mash. To boil, cover the potatoes with water. Place saucepan on stove top on high heat. Bring the water to the boil. All to boil for at least 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Make sure they are not firm at all or they won’t mash smoothly.
- While potatoes are cooking, heat a large frying pan on medium-high heat. Heat olive oil and then add the onion. Once onion is soft and translucent, add garlic and cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add garlic, cook 1 minute then add mince and cook until almost brown.
- Add vegetables and cook for 2 minutes until they start to go tender.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Spoon tomato paste in and stir for 1 minute.
- Add beef stock, Worcestershire sauce and herbs. Simmer until liquid reduces and mince mixture is thick (about 10 minutes). Add salt and pepper.
- Drain potatoes and add back to saucepan. Start to mash potatoes, add butter, mash some more.
- Add half the warm milk and mash through.
- Add the other half of the milk and mash.
- Make sure potato is a bit sloppier than u would serve it as a side dish. It will dry out a little in the oven.
- Grease a lasagne or casserole dish (approx. 20cm x 30cm).
- Pour meat mixture into dish. Spoon potato over the top and smooth to edges of dish.
- Lightly run a fork through the top of the potato lengthways, then crossways. This will ensure a nice crisp crust.
- Cook in oven for 30 minutes or until potato top is golden and crisp and bubbling.
- Let it stand for 5 minutes to settle and cool before serving.