Bacon isn’t something we have very often in our house but my son and hubby and son love it. So I figured this would be a good way to get cauliflower and vegetable broth into my son.
Gluten, egg and nut free
Serves 4-6 people
Prep time: 7 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 300g middle bacon, cut into strips
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1L vegetable or chicken stock (I use my home made broths)
- ½ Cup water
- 100ml cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ Tbs. coconut or extra virgin olive oil
- Heat a large saucepan on high heat and add the oil. Make sure the oil is heated and then add the diced bacon. Cook the bacon, stirring occasionally until crispy.
- Reduce the heat to medium-high and remove half of the bacon from the pan and onto a clean plate.
- Add the onion into the pan and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes or until the onion is soft. Now add the garlic and cauliflower and cook for 2 minutes making sure the cauliflower is coated in the oil.
- Pour in the stock and give it all a good stir ensuring that you scrape the bottom of the pan to get all the flavour off.
- Put the lid on the saucepan and allow it to come to the boil. You may need to reduce the heat to medium-low to gently boil or even simmer the cauliflower. Simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the cauliflower is nice and soft.
- Use a stick blender to gently blend the soup. I don’t blend mine too much because I like a few lumps and bumps.
- Serve into bowls and top each dish with the bacon that was set aside and a little chopped parsley. My kids like some good quality wholemeal sourdough with avocado instead of butter with theirs.
If you loved this meal I would love you share it with your friends. I would also love to see a photo of the finished product so I can put it on my food followers page.
If you would like to support your family’s health and wellbeing, click the link below and go to join and save.
Feel free to stalk me on Facebook for more health and wellness tips.