My children love roasted beetroot and feta. This salad goes awesome with roasted sweet potato and if you need you meat you can have some grilled chicken with it.
Gluten and egg free
- 2 whole fresh beetroots
- 1 pack of feta (we love Danish feta because it’s so creamy)
- ½ Cup pine nuts
- 1 red onion, thinly slicedSpread the onion on top
- 1 bag mixed leaves
- 1 small sweet potato or 1 cup diced butternut pumpkin, cut into 3cm cubes
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Wrap each beetroot leaving the skin on, in some foil making sure it is completely covered.
- Place on a tray with sweet potato and/or pumpkin that has been lightly rolled in a little olive oil and salt.
- The sweet potato and pumpkin should only take about 30 minutes. you may need to turn them halfway through cooking.
- Bake the beetroot in the oven for 40 minutes or until soft and cooked through. Allow them to sit for 10 minutes in the foil to cool.
- Take them out of the foil and when cool enough to handle. The skin will easily peel off. Cut the beetroot into cubes.
- While the beetroot is cooking, lay the pine nuts on a tray and spread out evenly.
- Place them on another shelf in the oven and cook for 5 minutes until lightly golden and aromatic. Allow the nuts to cool on the tray.
- Wash the leaves and spread them out on a large plate or in a salad bowl. Sprinkle the onion over the leaves.
- Spread the beetroot out over the leaves and onion and top with feta, sweet potato or pumpkin and the pine nuts.
- Drizzle with Extra Virgin Olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar OR my favourite is to add my BASIL AND PINE NUT PESTO as the dressing.
If you would like to support your family’s health and wellbeing with amazing non-toxic products, click the link below and go to join and save.
You can also follow me on Facebook for more health and wellness tips and videos.