Gluten, nut and dairy free
Makes 12-16 muffins depending on size of muffin cases
- 200g Medjool dates, chopped
- 1 Cup boiling water
- 1 tsp. Bicarb soda
- 1 Tbsp. Pure Maple syrup (optional)
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1/2 banana chopped and the other half thinly sliced
- ¹⁄³ Cup Coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 ¾ Cup gluten free self-raising flour
- Preheat oven to 170°C and line muffin trays with muffin cases.
- Place dates in a jug with bicarb and pour the boiling water over them. Allow to soak for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, beat mashed banana, eggs, maple syrup and coconut oil in a large bowl using hand beaters until light and fluffy.
- Blend all of the date mixture in a food processor until a smooth consistency.
- Gradually stir the flour into the egg mixture ½ a cup at a time, alternating with the date mixture.
- Stir in chopped banana.
- Spoon the mixture into muffin cases to fill them up to half way. Place 1 piece of sliced banana on the top of each muffin.
- Place in the oven to cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until dark golden and cooked through. They should spring back when lightly touched on the top. They are light and fluffy muffins not dense.
- Let the tray sit for 10 minutes then put the muffins on a cooling rack to cool although they are delicious warm.