I think this is my favourite banana loaf ever. It is low carb and definitely worth a try. Another recipe I just threw together with the ingredients that I had sitting in the pantry and fridge that turned out awesome.
Gluten and dairy free
- 16 Medjool dates, seeds removed
- 1 Cup boiling water
- 1 tsp. bicarb soda
- 2 banana’s. Keep half for decorating the top
- 1/3 Cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 1/4 Cups almond meal
- 1/2 Cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper. Preheat oven to 170oC.
- Put the dates in a bowl or jug and pour boiling water over them and add the bicarb soda. Give it a little stir and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- While the dates are soaking, in a food processor (you can use beaters if you like), beat the coconut oil, maple syrup, 1 banana, eggs and vanilla.
- Add the dates, including the water, coconut and almond flours, baking powder and half of the other banana and process very quickly so you still have a few date and banana chunks. Make sure the flours are well incorporated. Give it a little stir with a spatchula if you need to.
- Thinly slice the rest of the banana.
- Pour the mix into the prepared pan and lay the other half of the banana nicely on top.
- Cook in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through and nice and dark brown.
- Remove the loaf form the oven and allow to cool for about 15 minutes before turning it out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm as is or with butter or cream.